AsmBB

Power
Login Register

AsmBB v2.2 has been released.

#15440 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 11.11.2018 by johnfound, read: 8032 times

New features:

Persistent login for the users that prefer it. It is off by default.

Reset password procedure.

Implemented "Categories" type of navigation, based on the tags system. This way the users can set their own categories.

New theme MoLight - it is a mobile theme, the same style as Light theme.

Administrator debugging tool /!debuginfo

Preserving the post edit/delete history and allows to restore them.

Improved the UI of the post editor, included some help texts where needed.

Improved JS code for the real time chat.

Learn more in the following articles:

AsmBB how to download, compile and install.

How to install asmbb on VPS with nginx and systemd.

Learning AsmBB source

The source code:

The source code is (as always) available in the fossil repository.

#15601 (ツ) ufuk
Last edited: 11.11.2018 by johnfound, read: 5834 times
johnfound

New features:

Persistent login for the users that prefer it. It is off by default.

Reset password procedure.

Implemented "Categories" type of navigation, based on the tags system. This way the users can set their own categories.

New theme MoLight - it is a mobile theme, the same style as Light theme.

Administrator debugging tool /!debuginfo

Preserving the post edit/delete history and allows to restore them.

Improved the UI of the post editor, included some help texts where needed.

Improved JS code for the real time chat.

Learn more in the following articles:

AsmBB how to download, compile and install.

How to install asmbb on VPS with nginx and systemd.

Learning AsmBB source

The source code:

The source code is (as always) available in the fossil repository.

hi,

how can i create categories ?

#15602 (ツ) johnfound
Created 11.11.2018, read: 5831 times
ufuk

hi,

The categories are a special kind of tags, that has a description assigned. The make this by using the syntax tag:description when creating new tags. Every tag with description becomes "a category".

Also, the tags have a hidden parameter importance that must be >= 0 for the categories. But every new tag has importance = 0;

The administrator can change the importance and the descriptions of the tags from the SQLite console.

#15604 (ツ) ufuk
Created 11.11.2018, read: 5823 times
ufuk
johnfound
ufuk

hi,

The categories are a special kind of tags, that has a description assigned. The make this by using the syntax tag:description when creating new tags. Every tag with description becomes "a category".

Also, the tags have a hidden parameter importance that must be >= 0 for the categories. But every new tag has importance = 0;

The administrator can change the importance and the descriptions of the tags from the SQLite console.

ok, i see.

so how can i delete or edit categories ? i did not find.

And can i set permissions to create categories because i don!t want allow users to create categories.

#15608 (ツ) johnfound
Created 11.11.2018, read: 5818 times
ufuk

ok, i see.

And can i set permissions to create categories because i don!t want allow users to create categories.

You can change the tag descriptions by executing the following SQL in the SQLite console:

update tags set Description = 'NEW-DESCRIPTION-FOR-THE-TAG-MYTAG' where tag='MYTAG';

You can change the importance (in order to order the categories as you like) with the following SQL:

update tags set Importance = IMPORTANCE where tag='MYTAG';

IMPORTANCE is a random integer number. The categories are sorted by importance - more important are first.

You can stop the users from creating categories (or tags, which is the same) only by stopping them from posting new threads and editing the old threads.

You should understand, that this is one of the key features of AsmBB. The structure of the forum is controlled (at least partially) by the users. The moderators and administrators can only guide this activity to some extent and stop the destructive behavior.

But this is actually good thing. I know thousands of forums, where most of the categories are dead and not useful at all, bug they exists only because some moderator, many years ago decided that this will be the structure of the forum.

#15612 (ツ) ufuk
Created 12.11.2018, read: 5812 times
johnfound
ufuk

ok, i see.

You can change the tag descriptions by executing the following SQL in the SQLite console:

update tags set Description = 'NEW-DESCRIPTION-FOR-THE-TAG-MYTAG' where tag='MYTAG';

You can change the importance (in order to order the categories as you like) with the following SQL:

update tags set Importance = IMPORTANCE where tag='MYTAG';

IMPORTANCE is a random integer number. The categories are sorted by importance - more important are first.

You can stop the users from creating categories (or tags, which is the same) only by stopping them from posting new threads and editing the old threads.

You should understand, that this is one of the key features of AsmBB. The structure of the forum is controlled (at least partially) by the users. The moderators and administrators can only guide this activity to some extent and stop the destructive behavior.

But this is actually good thing. I know thousands of forums, where most of the categories are dead and not useful at all, bug they exists only because some moderator, many years ago decided that this will be the structure of the forum.

Is there a way disallow users to create only categories without disallow them to create new posts, tags etc.

#15614 (ツ) johnfound
Created 12.11.2018, read: 5811 times
ufuk

Is there a way disallow users to create only categories without disallow them to create new posts, tags etc.

No. It is democracy. rofl Don't be afraid from people. They are pretty wise in most cases. ;-)

#16181 (ツ) Jeff
Created 25.09.2020, read: 3800 times

What i don't like about this software the developer coded the system to alow you to post in mutiply tag areas your post. Which causes a 'duplicate content enalty in search engines especialy Google. See- https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

#16183 (ツ) johnfound
Created 26.09.2020, read: 3782 times
Jeff

What i don't like about this software the developer coded the system to alow you to post in mutiply tag areas your post. Which causes a 'duplicate content enalty in search engines especialy Google. See- https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66359?hl=en

Well, the duplication of the pages is unavoidable actually on any complex-enough dynamical web site. Maybe I need to implement some kind of canonical URLs.

#16187 (ツ) Jeff
Created 02.10.2020, read: 3735 times

Just limit the the user to create post in 1 tag area. Not mutiple locations which will cause issues with search engines.

AsmBB v3.0 (check-in: a316dab8b98d07d9); SQLite v3.42.0 (check-in: 831d0fb2836b71c9);
©2016..2023 John Found; Licensed under EUPL. Powered by Assembly language Created with Fresh IDE