AsmBB

Power
Login Register

Mysql support?

#15674 (ツ) ganuonglachanh
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3734 times

Hi, I came here from flarum forum.

Can you provide support for mysql Database?

Thank you!

#15679 (ツ) johnfound
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3730 times
ganuonglachanh

Thank you!

Well, no, it is not even planned.

And why? MySQL is a client-server database, that need to be specially installed and managed.

SQLite on the other hand is small, fast, does not need any installation procedures and will work on shared hosting without request and bandwidth limits.

#15681 (ツ) ganuonglachanh
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3727 times
johnfound
ganuonglachanh

Thank you!

Well, no, it is not even planned.

And why? MySQL is a client-server database, that need to be specially installed and managed.

SQLite on the other hand is small, fast, does not need any installation procedures and will work on shared hosting without request and bandwidth limits.

Thanks for the reply, I still concern about whether Asmbb can handle multi user with Sqlite, multi read and write to the same file cause performance issues.

Any benchmark that ASMBB can handle 10k users at the same time with read and write post?

Thanks!

#15685 (ツ) johnfound
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3725 times
ganuonglachanh

Any benchmark that ASMBB can handle 10k users at the same time with read and write post?

There is no benchmark, but with the appropriate hardware it is probably possible. Notice, that SQLite performance is often underestimated. In WAL mode and after some synchronization options switched off (because not needed when working on a web server) it performs pretty quick.

Although I can hardly imagine web forum with 10K users posting simultaneously. At least they need first to read the previous post in order to answer. Such posts will be one big mess and pretty hard for following and reading, so most of the users will leave such a forum.

#15689 (ツ) ganuonglachanh
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3720 times
johnfound
ganuonglachanh

There is no benchmark, but with the appropriate hardware it is probably possible. Notice, that SQLite performance is often underestimated. In WAL mode and after some synchronization options switched off (because not needed when working on a web server) it performs pretty quick.

Although I can hardly imagine web forum with 10K users posting simultaneously. At least they need first to read the previous post in order to answer. Such posts will be one big mess and pretty hard for following and reading, so most of the users will leave such a forum.

Thanks for the Sqlite tips, my current forum have 20 GB data in mysql, will try to convert to ASMBB to test rofl

#15692 (ツ) johnfound
Created 24.11.2018, read: 3718 times
ganuonglachanh

Thanks for the Sqlite tips, my current forum have 20 GB data in mysql, will try to convert to ASMBB to test rofl

This would be a really great contribution for the project, especially if you share the conversion scripts!

The AsmBB database structure is here: source/create.sql and don't hesitate to ask, if something is not clear enough.

#15733 (ツ) kari
Created 28.12.2018, read: 3584 times

A like option will be appreciated so i can like his post about conversion :-D

#15734 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 28.12.2018 by johnfound, read: 3583 times
kari

A like option will be appreciated so i can like his post about conversion :-D

+1 ;)

I am working right now on a conversions scripts for the old versions of phpbb (circa v2.0) and will publish them soon.

The conversion procedure is not pretty complex, but somehow boring :-( and consists of several steps:

1. Create SQLite database with the same scheme as the original database and copy all information into it. The main problem here is the differences between MySQL and SQLite syntax and the buggy conversion scripts. I have written a special tool for converting the syntax.

2. Insert into this database all the attached files (if stored as a files, like in phpbb) because AsmBB keeps the attachments inside the database.

3. Create new empty AsmBB forum.

4. From the sqlite console in AsmBB, execute the conversion script. The script must be executed from AsmBB console, because it uses several user defined SQL functions that are missing from the standard SQLite.

Mysql support?

AsmBB v3.0 (check-in: a316dab8b98d07d9); SQLite v3.42.0 (check-in: 831d0fb2836b71c9);
©2016..2023 John Found; Licensed under EUPL. Powered by Assembly language Created with Fresh IDE