AsmBB

Power
Login Register

Domain migration

#16106 (ツ) logicfish
Created 27.04.2020, read: 2538 times

What is the procedure for moving an installation to a new location?

#16107 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 28.04.2020 by johnfound, read: 2535 times
logicfish

It should be simply copying all the files from the AsmBB directory to the new location.

After starting the forum on the new location, the "Host" and "SMTP server/port" parameter might need to be changed in accordance with the new server settings, but these are used only for the email sending process.

Another variant is to install AsmBB from scratch on the new server and then copy only the database file board.sqlite (before starting of the engine, of course). The plus with this approach is the engine upgrade to the latest version. The minus and the only risk is that if the database scheme is very old, it can be incompatible with the newest versions of AsmBB.

But, the database scheme is not changed often.

Of course, with previously created backups, you always can try different approaches without any risks of data lost. ;-)

#16109 (ツ) logicfish
Created 28.04.2020, read: 2529 times
johnfound
logicfish

It should be simply copying all the files from the AsmBB directory to the new location.

Another variant is to install AsmBB from scratch on the new server and then copy only the database file board.sqlite (before starting of the engine, of course). The plus with this approach is the engine upgrade to the latest version. The minus and the only risk is that if the database scheme is very old, it can be incompatible with the newest versions of AsmBB.

Oh good, so I don't have to worry about permalinks in the database then. I think I'll try copying the db first, it's from the previous version. Presumably if the schema has changed this will be in the changelog.

Domain migration

AsmBB v3.0 (check-in: a316dab8b98d07d9); SQLite v3.42.0 (check-in: 831d0fb2836b71c9);
©2016..2023 John Found; Licensed under EUPL. Powered by Assembly language Created with Fresh IDE