AsmBB

Power
Login Register

Display of thread list after replying to post suggests reply is unread

#15552 (ツ) crustyoz
Created 16.10.2018, read: 4633 times

The bright red X in the thread entry after a just posted reply suggests that the reply is unread. While not a serious issue, it does confuse the signal for truly unread posts with the obviously read one since it was just created and had to be read during creation.

#15553 (ツ) johnfound
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4628 times
crustyoz

The bright red X in the thread entry after a just posted reply suggests that the reply is unread. While not a serious issue, it does confuse the signal for truly unread posts with the obviously read one since it was just created and had to be read during creation.

Can you explain in more details? How to reproduce this? Immediately after the reply the user is redirected to the post text, not to the thread list. And after displaying the post, it is not "unread" anymore and can't appears as such in the thread list.

#15555 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4624 times
johnfound
crustyoz

Can you explain in more details? How to reproduce this? Immediately after the reply the user is redirected to the post text, not to the thread list. And after displaying the post, it is not "unread" anymore and can't appears as such in the thread list.

I am replying to your post now. After clicking on submit, the posted text appears as you describe. Then I click on the Thread list button and find that the red X appears in the entry for this thread.

When I click on the left side Go to unread post button, it shows me this, my own post.

#15556 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by johnfound, read: 4621 times
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz

I am replying to your post now. After clicking on submit, the posted text appears as you describe. Then I click on the Thread list button and find that the red X appears in the entry for this thread.

When I click on the left side Go to unread post button, it shows me this, my own post.

Very strange behavior. Testing....

Sorry, but I can't reproduce it. What is your browser?

Can you post the headers your browser send to the server just after submitting new post?

Also, try to refresh with F5 (or Ctrl+F5) before jumping to the thread list. Is there something different?

#15558 (ツ) crustyoz
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4617 times
johnfound
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz

Can you post the headers your browser send to the server just after submitting new post?

Also, try to refresh with F5 (or Ctrl+F5) before jumping to the thread list. Is there something different?

Testing now.

Browser: Opera version 56.0.3051.36. There is a new one available that I will download. Opera uses Chrome source as its base. I've just started using Opera after many years away so I am not familiar with its debugger. Ctrl-R is the reload/refresh page shortcut in the browser. I see that F5 is the reload in the debugger.

#15559 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4617 times
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz

Testing now.

Browser: Opera version 56.0.3051.36. There is a new one available that I will download. Opera uses Chrome source as its base. I've just started using Opera after many years away so I am not familiar with its debugger. Ctrl-R is the reload/refresh page shortcut in the browser. I see that F5 is the reload in the debugger.

Request headers from debugger:

:authority: board.asm32.info
:method: POST
:path: /display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/15556/!post
:scheme: https
accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
accept-encoding: gzip, deflate, br
accept-language: en-GB,en-US;q=0.9,en;q=0.8
cache-control: max-age=0
content-length: 2084
content-type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryxf1ex5OAAx0VklKp
cookie: sid=94D461C9D119D9265F7A781CBFC9E252
origin: https://board.asm32.info
referer: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/15556/!post
upgrade-insecure-requests: 1
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36 OPR/56.0.3051.36
#15560 (ツ) crustyoz
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4616 times
crustyoz
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz

Testing now.

:path: /display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/15556/!post
accept: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,image/webp,image/apng,*/*;q=0.8
content-type: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryxf1ex5OAAx0VklKp
referer: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/15556/!post
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36 OPR/56.0.3051.36

Pressed F5 after submit, then used the Thread list button. No difference, still showing red X.

#15561 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4614 times
crustyoz
crustyoz
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz
johnfound
crustyoz

Testing now.

Pressed F5 after submit, then used the Thread list button. No difference, still showing red X.

Testing with freshly downloaded Opera Version:56.0.3051.43

I will edit this post with a report of any changes.

UPDATE: No change in behaviour. Still seeing red X. Clicking on goto unread button still shows the current post (i.e. this one).

#15562 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4611 times

Post indents were getting too deep, so I started a new post in this thread.

Now using Firefox version 62.0.2 on Linux.

I will edit this post with result of simple submit, thread list action.

It appears the problem is Opera specific. Firefox does NOT display the red X.

I don't use Chrome so I can not comment on its behaviour, but I do have an older version of Chromium on my machine so I will test that, reporting in a separate post.

#15563 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4607 times

Testing with Chromium Version 69.0.3497.92 (Developer Build) (64-bit)

I will edit this post with results.

This version of Chromium misbehaves as well so it is possible that Chrome does the same.

I had images disabled and the fields in question were blank. I thought this might be another browser bug until I enabled images.

You have no alt-text values for the go to first unread, reply, edit, delete icons.

#15565 (ツ) crustyoz
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4599 times

Another clue: There were two threads reporting 1 unread post. When I clicked on the red X to clear the unread posts for this thread, it also cleared the red X on the other thread. That is not what I expected. Perhaps there should be a separate button for clear ALL unread posts across ALL threads.

#15566 (ツ) johnfound
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4597 times
crustyoz

You have no alt-text values for the go to first unread, reply, edit, delete icons.

There are alt-text values for all these buttons. I don't know why you can't see them. I am browsing right now with images switched off and all links looks OK.

Also, the headers above are for the POST request. But as a response, the POST request returns a 302 redirection and there should be another GET request that returns the page with the new posted message. The headers of this GET request are possible source of the problem.

P.S. There is a button "Mark all as read" in the button row on the top of the thread list page.

#15567 (ツ) crustyoz
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4592 times
johnfound
crustyoz

There are alt-text values for all these buttons. I don't know why you can't see them. I am browsing right now with images switched off and all links looks OK.

Also, the headers above are for the POST request. But as a response, the POST request returns a 302 redirection and there should be another GET request that returns the page with the new posted message. The headers of this GET request are possible source of the problem.

P.S. There is a button "Mark all as read" in the button row on the top of the thread list page.

I think I am being confused using multiple browsers and with the newness of my experience with Opera. I just disabled images in Opera and all the alt-text values appear, as desired.

Using Firefox without images, I see Block followed by the text.

Conclusion: please ignore comments related to this observation.

#15568 (ツ) crustyoz
Last edited: 17.10.2018 by crustyoz, read: 4589 times

This test looks for the 302 redirect.

Here is the full list of request headers. I leave it to you to interpret:

Request URL: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200 
Remote Address: 209.250.243.170:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
content-encoding: gzip
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:23:38 GMT
referrer-policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
server: nginx
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
vary: Accept-Encoding
x-content-type-options: nosniff
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
:method: GET
:path: /display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/
cookie: sid=75FBB22584BE1AC900710C825D61C4C7
referer: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/!post
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36 OPR/56.0.3051.43
#15570 (ツ) johnfound
Created 17.10.2018, read: 4587 times
crustyoz

This test looks for the 302 redirect.

Here is the full list of request headers. I leave it to you to interpret:

Request URL: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/
Request Method: GET
Status Code: 200 
Remote Address: 209.250.243.170:443
Referrer Policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
content-encoding: gzip
content-type: text/html; charset=utf-8
date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 14:23:38 GMT
referrer-policy: no-referrer-when-downgrade
server: nginx
strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains
vary: Accept-Encoding
x-content-type-options: nosniff
x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN
x-xss-protection: 1; mode=block
:method: GET
:path: /display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/
cookie: sid=75FBB22584BE1AC900710C825D61C4C7
referer: https://board.asm32.info/display-of-thread-list-after-replying-to-post-suggests-reply-is-unread.229/!post
user-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/69.0.3497.100 Safari/537.36 OPR/56.0.3051.43

Yes, as I expected there is a header cache-control: max-age=0, but AFAIK this header is generated only when the page is refreshed by F5 (or similar) and I am using it as a indicator to not update posts statistics (read count, unread records) when the page is refreshed. Will need to study this issue a little...

Display of thread list after replying to post suggests reply is unread

AsmBB v3.0 (check-in: a316dab8b98d07d9); SQLite v3.42.0 (check-in: 831d0fb2836b71c9);
©2016..2023 John Found; Licensed under EUPL. Powered by Assembly language Created with Fresh IDE