AsmBB

Power
Login Register

AsmBB v2.6 has been officially released

#15897 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 13.06.2019 by johnfound, read: 6782 times

AsmBB v2.6 has been released

What is AsmBB?

AsmBB is a web forum software, written entirely in assembly language (FASM) and using SQLite as a forum database engine.

AsmBB is aimed to provide the fastest and the lightest possible forum engine, able to handle huge communities on a very lightweight servers like cheap VPS or even shared hosting.

In addition, AsmBB has the simplest possible installation process and need no regular support. It simply works.

Also AsmBB has very high level of security. SQL injections are impossible by design. Most of other web attack vectors are simply missing.

What's new in this release?

1. German translation

Although the German translation has been available in the v2.5 silent update of the binary pack, v2.6 is the first official version with German translation of the UI.

Thanks to the community, in v2.6 all other translations are improved as well.

2. Atom/RSS feed support.

The subscribing for themes and some way for push notifications was one of the most required feature.

In v2.6 these requests has been addressed by support for Atom/RSS feeds.

Now everyone can subscribe for the whole forum, for particular tag or for particular theme and get notifications when something is changed.

3. Real-time notifications engine

The handling of the server sent events (SSE) has been rewritten from scratch in order to handle all users in a uniform manner.

While in the earlier versions SSE was used only for the real-time chat, now the SSE service is flexible enough to be used for delivering notifications for many different forum events.

Such as new posts, other users activities, etc.

In addition now it serves all clients from a single thread, so arbitrary number of visitors can be served simultaneously with very little load on the server.

Currently only limited number of notifications are implemented, but as long as the infrastructure is ready and easy expandable, more features can be added later.

4. Bug fixes and speed improvements.

As usual all bugs discovered meanwhile has been fixed. And probably new introduced. But I believe the new bugs are less than the fixed bugs.

At least, on the demo server, there were no spontaneous crashes or memory leaks detected during the whole period between the releases.

The new SSE handling service improves the speed of event processing, especially on high and very high loads of the forum.

5. Updated SQLite and MUSL libraries

Of course, the binary package contains the most recent versions of SQLite and MUSL.

Download and install

Download the binary package (asmbb.tar.gz) ready for installation on VPS or shared hosting.

Unlike other popular web forums, AsmBB is very easy for installation. In fact you can get working forum for less than 2 minutes.

Read the threads tagged /asmbb/ for more articles about installation, configuration and customization of AsmBB.

Source code

The source code can be browsed, downloaded and cloned from the AsmBB source code repository.

You will be surprised how readable assembly language can be.

#15899 (ツ) KyberMax
Created 14.06.2019, read: 4270 times

I do not know if you have seen this topic on wasm.in. If not, it might interest you. Especially the part about the database written in asm.

#15900 (ツ) johnfound
Last edited: 15.06.2019 by johnfound, read: 4213 times
KyberMax

I do not know if you have seen this topic on wasm.in. If not, it might interest you. Especially the part about the database written in asm.

Well, I am not following wasm.in because it is not a cake anymore. Forum about assembly language programming where are welcomed posts about not writing in assembly language is a nonsense.

Anyway, I will take a look of course, because a database written in assembly language is something I am highly interested.

Thanks for the link. :-)

PS: But right now I have no access to the web site http://цифровые-системы.рф. :-( Maybe it is temporary. Will try later.

#15901 (ツ) ganuonglachanh
Created 15.06.2019, read: 4167 times

Thank you JohnFound, lot of new features rofl

#15904 (ツ) KyberMax
Created 21.06.2019, read: 3962 times
johnfound

PS: But right now I have no access to the web site http://цифровые-системы.рф. :-( Maybe it is temporary. Will try later.

I also do not have access to this address.

AsmBB v2.6 has been officially released

AsmBB v3.0 (check-in: a316dab8b98d07d9); SQLite v3.42.0 (check-in: 831d0fb2836b71c9);
©2016..2023 John Found; Licensed under EUPL. Powered by Assembly language Created with Fresh IDE